Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Snow and Homer the local Mr Plow

Homer the local Plow Dude.
This is not a blog about the intricacies of weather as I do not have the knowledge to talk about such things...I can however blog about my experiences in it...December Snow in Ohio, USA.
 


Sunday 12th December, 2010

This Blog is on snow...and how much effort it takes to shovel it!! It takes a lot of physical effort to get snow off the sidewalk and driveway. We had a nice constant flutter of snow today so by the time it was early evening it was time to get the shovel and salt out. The first round of me the snow and the shovel occurred about 6pm. I decided it wouldn't hurt to put a bit of salt down after shoveling the snow by hand (yes I know all about snow blowers but it was fresh snow and was quicker to just use the shovel). I was happy with the result nice clear driveway and sidewalk and porches all clear and salted.

The snow kept on falling and a friend dropped by with his truck and plow and we had a 2nd round of the driveway being cleared. The snow continued to fall and by about 9pm all my hard work was invisible underneath the freshly falling snow. So out I went again and cleared it all while it was fresh and easy to move. Peace at last and time to relax or so I thought.

I heard that familiar sound of a truck and looked out the window to see all my hard work ruined by an incompetent fool who has no idea on how to plow snow other than to get it done as fast as he can with as little effort as possible. Homer Simpson. Mr Plow immediately comes to mind.

The roadway gets cleared by someone that is employed and paid to do it and I have battled with this person for some years now as to why he has to plow all of everyone's snow right up on to my clear driveway and paths. I have even gone so far as to stand in his way to stop him doing it and it does no good as he just doesn't stop and I end up moving very quickly.

Last year, I did win one round where I was so mad at having all my hard work destroyed I literally blew my lid and waited in the middle of the road yelling at the guy did he have to give me everybody's snow and was he blind that it was clear before he got there. He did end up turning around and removing the snow from my driveway but I still have no clue if he did it to just shut me up or whether he listened at all. He ended up having to do another neighbors as I yelled out to them to start abusing him too!

Logically to me, if you were to clear roadways of snow that pushes all the snow in one direction in to a huge pile of snow, you would go one direction and then stop. Then go the other direction to clear the other side. Clear it up to the sidewalk and then go the opposite direction for the other side so as to not accumulate all the snow from everyone in to one big pile on one side of the road and not the other!!!

This logic seems beyond the person that does the snow plowing where we live and it drives me absolutely nuts. I could understand if it was untouched snow outside my home but it never is. I always keep it clear and it takes a lot of time and effort and frost bite to do so.

I have asked this person to please notice when its cleared already and to not bring all the snow hes gathering from the entire road to replace it but to no avail. I've tried building walls of snow to make him go around further and it ends up back where it started but ten times worse! Last year I made the mistake of doing the wall behind the sidewalk which failed as he just kept adding snow. This year I am set to yet again battle this person and will continue this battle all winter.

Yes I have gone out yet again and shoveled it all clear again!! There is quite a few elderly people close to me and I clear their paths at the same time. Another reason it makes me so angry that Plow Dude who I shall now refer to as "Homer" really does not care. He makes lives of those hes supposed to be helping more difficult with his inability to be more efficient and still get the job done.

My new tactic and we shall see if this one works is I have changed the position of my snow wall.
This years snow wall is back on the road!!! I'm building a tunnel of the sidewalk clear with the wall being on the curb of the road. I've again angled it so it should make it harder to still sweep the snow up to my driveway and paths. With a bit of luck and some light rain it should set and make it difficult to move even with a truck.



If my little wall makes it I shall attempt to make it even more solid and impenetrable. Wish me luck and I shall take some photos to keep a blog of my hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment