Friday, April 11, 2014

Understanding Australian Text


To whomever is reading this. 


Firstly I will explain something to you, I am Australian. You are probably not. 

In Australia we have a thing called humour. (yes the spelling is correct, we use a "u" in the word down here.) And an integral part of this humour is called "sarcasm". A loose definition of the term sarcasm could be "a sharply ironical or cutting remark". I could go into depth of the origin of this national predisposition to this sort of humour, but I feel it would bore you. If you are abreast of the concept of sarcasm you will notice I have already used it in an earlier sentence.

I will help you to understand our humour (still with the "u"). See us Australians understand your brand of what you call humor. (note no "u" as it is US based humor). Your humor is easy to understand, you conveniently place canned laughter in the soundtrack so we know when it is funny. Or an event happens, for example Al Bundy will flush a toilet and the audience will cheer, or a man gets slapped with a wet fish, and we know then we are supposed to laugh because it is funny. I find this concept funny. Funny stuff that. Ok, to help you understand Australian humour in future I will insert several "markers" so you don't confuse my humour with trolling.

In future if I am being sarcastic, I will place the tags [sarcasm] and [/sarcasm] around the statement. In fact, the simple act of just placing the tags would constitute sarcasm. I quite like this already. We are progressing well.

If I place a joke that in any way might pass over some peoples heads I will place a tag [canned laughter] so you don't miss it, and you can then chuckle as you read, knowing full well I have just told a joke.

And if I tell a real rip snorter of a joke I will place [Al Bundy flushes toilet]. Sweet.
Now we are enjoying a new found level of cross Pacific understanding and friendship.



No comments:

Post a Comment